My Feeble Attempt at a Blog

2007 Triangle Harvest—with Greg Laurie, Third Day, David Crowder Band, Toby Mac, Leeland, and more!

4.20.2005

Eggs Benedict...

Okay, let me just begin by saying that I love my wife. She's the best. If you haven't gotten a chance to get to know her, you can check out her blog here - jendote.blogspot.com. Drop her a line and tell her she's an awesome woman. I guess I'm just lucky. :-) Earlier this week, she took on yet another job at the church - this time paid - as cook for our church's daycare ministry. She has displayed an incredible servant's heart in trying to do all she can to help out where she can... and I'm proud of her. Just had to say it. :-)

In other news, you're probably aware that we have a new pope. If you don't, it's time to get out of your cave. :-) Am I the only one wondering what this new pope will bring? On one had, I don't think that he has the potential to be the charismatic world leader that the Catholics were calling for in their new pope. Which, I might add, as a pre-millenialist, relieves me. Just the words they were using, and the fact that one of the main issues they thought was of importance was bringing peace and resolution to the middle east were concerns for me. Maybe I've just spent too much time reading the Left Behind books and listening to Calvary Chapel pastors. It's just wierd to hear it in the news in those terms. All the more, it just reminds me that we need to be ready, because in essence, we have never been closer to the return of Christ than we are right now. Are you ready?

On the other hand, the views of this pope on remaining staunchly Catholic concerns me. His words about how Protestants are "deficient" raise some definite red flags in my mind. I mean, I realize that we as Protestants are not completely correct. We are led by sinful men, after all! But on the other hand, am I alone in seeing a huge barrier of pride built up on both sides - Protestant and Catholic? Mistakes have been made on both sides, and rather than acknowledging them and trying to bridge the gap, we are trying to remain distinctly our denomination, rather than seeking to do the Lord's will. I guess that that's one of my pet peeves - remaining true to a denominational stance on an issue because it's what we've always done, rather than truly asking ourselves, "what would bring glory to God?" I mean, the schism of the early church wasn't started to be divisive. It was meant to guide some misguided opinions back to the heart of God. Pride, however, got in the way - and I continue to see and hear it on talk radio. I mean, hey - listen to the Frank Pastore show whenever Catholicism is brought up. Talk about your prideful Protestants that want nothing to do with Catholics, sometimes being outright harsh. Ugh. Christians bewilder me sometimes.

What would it look like for us to honestly seek the heart of God? It's something I need more and more work on, and maybe if you get a chance, you can drop me a line and see how I'm doing. God knows that I need it, and that I'm far from where I want to be. Besides, it might give me a better idea of who's out there reading this thing. :-) Maybe together we can help each other on towards lives lived for His glory. Just some thoughts from a passing traveller.

4 Comments:

  • Thanks for the comment on the blog.

    I enjoyed seeing your thoughts on the new pope. I need to post something on this myself.

    By Blogger glittergirlmommy, at 7:58 PM  

  • I think the common ground that we need to start with is admitting that we are all sinners. When Luther sought to change the church with his 95 thesis, he didn't seek to split the church. Pride got in the way, and Catholicism founded itself on the stance furthest from the Protestants. Protestants sought Scripture alone, and so Catholics revered the sacraments and tradition. Pride, over the years, I believe, has continued to drive the two churches apart over the years, to the point where we are now - where many on both sides will not even dialogue about the Christ that we all proclaim as Lord because we feel that our stance is right. I'm not talking about giving up what we believe in, but I do believe that we need to get over ourselves at some point and foster healthy dialogue so that the wedge doesn't become deeper than it is. Does that make any sense?

    By Blogger Darryl, at 4:07 PM  

  • Darryl,

    I am less than thrilled with the choice of the new pope. I was hoping for someone a little more liberal. I am not sure if you know this, but I am a liberal Catholic.

    I do not percribe to all of the teaching of the church, nor any other I might add. I am free thinking, free spirited individual, but I enjoy still being Catholic.

    I get extremely offended when people tear apart my church and say that Catholics are awful people. I get just as angry when people disrespect any other religion. I really think the key of unity is that we need to remember that it doesn't matter what "faith" you belong too. As long as you have a personal relationship with God, I think that is all that truly matters.

    By Blogger glittergirlmommy, at 11:24 PM  

  • Ya, I'm a conservative Catholic, so I LOVE the new Pope. I don't think it's his job to bring peace to the world any more than it's his job to take a new stand on ancient teaching.

    I'm still surprised that people are shocked, dissapointed, or upset that the pope is, well, Catholic. Of course he thinks being Catholic is better. If he didn't, he'd join Calvery Chapel and start going to senior singles mixers! Just like protestants think that being Catholic isn't as good, or they'd be kneeling before the Blessed Virgin.

    What bothers me is when neither side recognizes the other as true believers. I've had Catholic commenters lump protestants in with pagans, and I've known a number of protestants (Imladris2) who don't even think we share the same gospel, etc.! Well, gee, I know the Apostles creed, isn't that what you believe? There is a balance between personal relationship and being part of the larger body of Christ and I think most of us are too far in one direction or the other. We should know God personally, but we are part of the body, and cannot be separated from it.

    Sorry, I'm getting all annoyed in general, hormones I suppose. But can't we just recognize that none of us are perfect and that the church isn't perfect, but the Christ we follow is?

    And people need to leave my Pope alone!

    Hugs, Darryl! :-)

    By Blogger Anne, at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home