My Feeble Attempt at a Blog

2007 Triangle Harvest—with Greg Laurie, Third Day, David Crowder Band, Toby Mac, Leeland, and more!

7.23.2005

What is the goal?

So... after starting down the road of youth ministry at our church, I am forced to ponder the question, "what is the goal? What is our purpose?" No, I'm not trying to build another purpose-driven ministry (for those of you who are wondering... I know you're out there!), and no, I'm not going to spend the next forty days of my life trying to find my purpose. I know what it is, but I also never thought that ministry would be such a battle. Pray for me, and pray for the kids. Am I really wrong in thinking that what these kids need is exposure to the Gospel? Am I really wrong in thinking that God is the only one who can turn the hearts of these kids? How much guidance do I need to give, if any? Ugh.

Special thanks to Jeff Wetherell who helped remind me of the real purposes of Bible Study. I'm finding that I'm missing my personal time and study in the Scriptures, and that my study times are directed more towards building a defense for the ministry I feel God is calling me to. How can I find the balance?

I long to get my hands dirty in ministry again. To get down to a real level of seeing God's Word transform lives as it's being taught and shared. Maybe this is my wake up call. Maybe....

1 Comments:

  • It's amazing to me how many churches fail to mention the cross of Christ and the urgency that comes with making a decision to follow or not to follow. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of Jesus saying, "You're either working actively for me, or you're against me" just sticks in my mind. I know I've spent too many days working against Him, and that every day needs to count. I pray that that would be something I keep in mind in everything I do. It's one of the reasons why I'll keep giving people the opportunity to respond to the Gospel here in my blog. :-)

    Harvest was incredible. We went all three nights with eight of the youth from our church - and five of them went forward!!! Praise God!!! It was incredible, reminding me of the night when I went forward along with Cat... :-) Ah, memories. :-)

    By Blogger Darryl, at 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home