My Feeble Attempt at a Blog

2007 Triangle Harvest—with Greg Laurie, Third Day, David Crowder Band, Toby Mac, Leeland, and more!

4.29.2006

Important Distictions...

Brad Bell, the pastor of the Well Community Church in Fresno, recently gave an incredible message on spiritual formation and how that is different for each person. I encourage anyone and everyone to take the time to listen to it. It's affirming to know that the dialogue I enjoy with many of you is an essential part of my growth as a Christian - so, thank you. :-)

As with any journey, some steps take you forward; others force you to retrace your steps and choose a different path. Still at other times, it's good to sit and think. Today was one of those days. It's been great to dialogue with a few people about the last post that I made on here, and especially great for me to be forced to engage myself in a real discussion about intelligent faith. Too often, Christians are not thinking for themselves anymore. But don't get me started on that one.

With that in mind, I do need to make an important distinction. Both in my research of the Emergent Church movement and in my dialogue with others on the subject, I have had to come face to face with the realization that not everyone who identifies themselves as "emergent" (or fall into that category whether they like it or not) is a "problem church."

In fact, a few of the leaders of this movement who have sparked my interest have written a letter in response to recent criticisms. I encourage you to read it and take some time to actually think for yourself about the kind of church that God is calling us to be. Again, it's not about simply taking sides. It's about engaging our minds and searching for the Truth. It's not about feeling good as much as it is about us growing together in this journey we call faith - THAT is the Church. Just please... don't stop thinking for yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home